Friday, December 4, 2009

Rant-ish

I meant to write about this when it happened (about 2 months ago) but of course I didn't. I was sitting in a crowded Ivy Tech waiting area, in line to see an advisor. I had been there a good hour and a half. This guy that I was sure came in 20 minutes after me got called in. Annoyed, I was about to go to the counter to make sure I hadn't been skipped. This young black girl, who was also waiting, started singing 'Amazing Grace.' She went through the song in this slow strong voice, which wasn't the most beautiful, but everyone just kinda froze and a stillness settled on the room. I only heard her, but helped put everything into perspective. Things like that probably happen in places like N.Y, but people don't just start singing a song about 'a wretch like me' in front of strangers in Indianapolis.

My biology teacher somehow got talking about his 25 year old son, who is basically a beach bum in Australia. I guess he has a few odd jobs, but 'his biggest decision of the day is decide what beach to go to'. A few of my classmates relayed their incredulousness, some saying it would be cool. The teacher said one day he's going to have to grow up and get a secure job. That kind of talk saddens me. Sure, a 'secure' job would be fine if it's something you enjoy. But I'm trying to find the balance in my own mind in being a part of the rat race, and separating from that mind set. A 'bum' isn't a good lifestyle if you're lazy. A fancy office job isn't good if money and image are in first place. I also don't want to rain on a dedicated family man, who has, in part, become apart of working America. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I was just feel directly adverse to what is expected, to what 'growing up' means. It seems to mean putting on a suit, having a 5 day work week, paying bills, mortgages, depending on caffeine to propel you through 6AM and 3PM. And why does 'mortgage' have a 't' in it?!?!?!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

ahahha...I LOVE this Steph.

And you are so right---the AMERICAN dream is go to college, so you can get your rat race job, so you can buy your house in the burbs and have your 2.5 kids and live happliy ever after. Not that is wrong but as you mentioned, it is not what life is about.

Anonymous said...

It is a pity, that now I can not express - it is compelled to leave. I will be released - I will necessarily express the opinion.

Anonymous said...

Also that we would do without your magnificent phrase